- 29 Dec 2008
- 12:26pm EST
I’m near death from uncomfortable guest beds, mosquito attacks, and the sadistic traffic patterns around the Bhat family’s home here in Pune. We leave tomorrow for Bhopal, via Indore. In the next several days, we three (Mom, the sis, and yours truly) will be witnessing or participating in several Sathe family events in the two cities, including:
* Vivek Mama‘s [uncle] housewarming shindig
* Cousin Devashish’sª munja [thread ceremony]
* Sathe aaji‘s [grandma] 75th birthday hullabaloo
* Vijay Mama‘s classical indian recital for said hullabaloo.
I’m traveling four of the next six days, and I’m pretty sure that if I don’t get that upgrade on the Delhi-Amsterdam leg, it’ll be my cold, lifeless body arriving at Dulles on Sunday. Hopefully I’ll live to see you jerks later.
ª – DJ Salty Pretzel, for those of you just joining us
- 22 Dec 2008
- 1:52am EST
A collection of observations from the first leg of the ’08-’09 India trip.
* I had no screaming babies on my IAD-AMS flight, but my seat-neighbor smelt as if he had done step aerobics in a compost heap before boarding the flight. And then, it seemed, he tried to cover it up with some Deep Woods OFF.
* At least I got some entertainment through taunting the poor, smelly, obviously-frustrated Indian (*sigh*) fellow by flashing the American Apparel ad on the back page of this week’s Onion.
* Swear to God my flight attended looked like Leslie Feist. Particularly while she was counting things.
* Wine and Oreos is something no one should ever experience. ’nuff said.
* The more I think about how awesome an iPhone tethering arrangement would’ve been, the more I wish the punk who stole said iPhone is sodomized by an un-sanded, sentient, and sadistic baseball bat before being beaten to death with his own leg.
* I could listen to Schiphol Airport’s English announcer tell me about Dutch smoking regulations for hours. She is a classy lady.